2.SS Panzer Division Das Reich was formed in October 1939 from the Deutschland, Germania, and Der Fuhrer regiments. It took part in the 1940 campaign in the west and, after spending some time guarding the border with Vichy France, was transferred to The Netherlands. Das Reich participated in the Balkans campaign where a small detachment, led by SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Klingenberg, forced the surrender of Belgrade without a fight.
Das Reich was involved in the invasion of Russia and fought until August when it was finally withdrawn for rest and refit. It returned to the front the following month, which enabled it to take part in the failed offensive against Moscow in December. In March 1942, the bulk of the division was transferred to France, where it was upgraded to a panzergrenadier division. It was sent back to the Eastern front in January 1943, helping to recapture the city of Kharkov and participate in the battle for Kursk. Afterwards, it was transferred to France for a second time, where it was upgraded to a full panzer division. The Division was sent to Normandy in June 1944 when the Allies invaded, earning a reputation for unbridled ruthlessness at Oradour sur Glane. In late 1944 and 1945, Das Reich fought in the Ardennes, Hungary, and Austria, before finally surrendering to the US Army in mid-1945.
Pictured here is a German self-propelled gun Commander (Obersturmfuhrer), from the 2.StuG-Abt., Panzer-Division "Das Reich", then deployed to St. Vith, Belgium during 1944 and named "Johann Sigel". Sold Out!