Dragon DRA60157 German PzKpfw VIII Maus Super Heavy Tank with Mock-Up Turret - Russian Livery (1:72 Scale)
"By powerful artillery fire, air strikes, and a wave of attacking tanks, we're supposed to swiftly crush the enemy."
- Marshal Georgi K. Zhukov
In June 1942, Porsche of Stuttgart was ordered by Hitler to start designing a super heavy tank, mounting a 12.8cm gun, and having maximum possible armor. Trials were to commence in May 1943, however, many difficulties arose. For example, the air-cooled motor never materialized, and the V1 vehicle had to be fitted with a modified MB509 aircraft engine, the V2 with a MB517 diesel. The Porsche longitudinal torsion bar suspension had to be abandoned as there was insufficient space for the number of stations needed to carry the continually growing weight. Meanwhile, an order had been placed for a production series of 150, but in October 1943, that was cancelled. The V1 prototype was tested with a simulated turret in December 12943, and with a turret and armament in June 1944. The turretless V2 started tests in September 1944, but the engine was destroyed in an accident and was not replaced until April 1945. Both prototypes were eventually blown up at Kummersdorf.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a Maus super heavy tank painted in Russian livery. Sold Out!
Length: 5.75 inches
Width: 2.5 inches
Release Date: February 2006
Historical Account: "Weird Science" - Kummersdorf is the name of an estate near Luckenwalde, around 25km south of Berlin, in the Brandenburg region of Germany. Until 1945 Kummersdorf hosted the weapons office of the German Army, which ran a development center for future weapons, as well as an artillery range.
Wernher von Braun developed the liquid propellant rockets type A-1 and A-2 at Kummersdorf; this research was eventually moved to Peenemunde in 1936 as the facility was too small for testing. Other reasons for the move included the need for a secret and secure testing site, as well as a decision by the Luftwaffe to join in the development of rockets. After 1938, Kummersdorf was used for nuclear research.