Dragon CAN20026Ambush German PzKpfw VIII E-100 Super Heavy Tank - Ambush Camouflage (1:144 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
The Entwicklung (Standard) program, known as the E-Series, was conceived by Dipl Ing Heinrich Enrst Kneikamp, Chief Engineer of Waffenpruefamt 6 in May 1942. In April 1943, the Heereswaffenamt (Army Weapons Office) accepted his program and ordered many different manufacturers to start the planning and development of the Entwicklung (project/development) Einheitsfahrgestell general purpose chassis. It was designed to replace armored vehicles and tanks that were used by the German Army from 1945 onwards. All six basic designs of the E-Series would have standardized parts, making their production, maintenance and sevice easier as well as cheaper. In April 1944, Adolf Hitler cancelled and further development of the super heavy tanks and the unfinished E-100 was abandoned. The end of the war ended the development of the E-Series program, which was in various stages ranging from blueprints to prototypes.
In June 1943, the E-100 was ordered by the Waffenamt from Adlerwerke, as a parallel development of the Porsche 205 Maus. In 1944, Hitler put a stop to all development of super heavy tanks and the project went on to a very low priority, and only three Adler employees were available to assemble the protoype at a small Henschel facility near Paderborn. The chassis of the prototype was virtually complete when the war ended, with only the turret missing. For the initial test runs, a normal Tiger B engine HL230P30 had been fitted, with an Olvar transmission. The final version was to have had the HL234 motor and Mekydro transmission. A 15cm KwK44 gun was proposed as the final armament.
This 1:144 scale vehicle comes on an attractive grassland diorama base and is painted in an ambush camouflage pattern.
Length: 2.5 inches
Width: 1 inch
Release Date: August 2005
Historical Account: "Folly and Serve" - Toward the end of the Second World War, Professor Ferdinand Porsche's people were working in Stuttgart, Wolfsburg, the family farm in Zell am See (Austria), and in Gmund (Austria) where the Third Reich sent the firm to avoid the Allied bombing of Stuttgart. The younger Porsche had long foreseen the outcome of the War. He had grown up anti-military and stayed apolitical through the Nazi years. The old Professor, on the other hand, was simply politically naive; he was consumed with engineering, and it's obvious that he did not mix engineering with morality despite his involvement with Adolf Hitler. If there was a sponsor for an engineering project, be it a race car or a tank, he wanted to design and build the best there ever was. Thus, while he was credited with building the diminuitive Volkswagen (People's Car), he was also responsible for many of Germany's more heinous projects, including the creation of the colossal Maus.