Tamiya TAM26520 German Sd. Kfz. 141 PzKpfw III Ausf. L Medium Tank - Hermann Goring Panzer Regiment (1:48 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
In March 1942, a study was undertaken to determine whether the PzKpfw IV turret would fit on the PzKpfw III superstructure. Analysis revealed that the resultant weight was excessive, and numerous modifications would be necessary. The idea was soon dropped, and production of the PzKpfw III with the 5cm KwK39 L/60 continued. The original order for 1,100 Ausf. L variants was reduced by a decree to mount 450 7.5cm KwK L/24 in the PzKpfw III, while 447 Ausf. L were used to mount the short 7.5cm gun and thus became the Ausf. N.
Pictured here is a 1:48 scale replica of a German PzKpfw III Ausf. L painted in field grey that was attached to the Hermann Goring Panzer Regiment. Sold Out!
Length: 5.25 inches
Width: 2 inches
Release Date: January 2007
Historical Account: "All Along the Watchtower" - Panzer Division Hermann Goring was established in May 1943 when Division Hermann Goring was reformed. It was sent to Sicily to fight the expected allied landings and became one of the few reliable Axis formations to remain in place after the Italian front collapsed on Sicily. It fought at Gela and Priolo but was forced to withdraw due to heavy Allied naval bombings. Despite suffering significant losses, the division continued fighting a defensive battle, which enabled other german forces to evacuate Sicily and take up the fight in Italy. The division was stationed near Naples when the Italian government surrendered to the Allies and was used to disarm the Italian troops in the Salerno area. After the Allies landed at Salerno on September 9th, the division was ordered back to the Volturno-Termoli Line. Later on, it retreated with the rest of the german forces to the nearly impregnable Gustav Line, where it was replaced in the front lines by infantry and ordered into tactical reserve.
When the Allies landed at Anzio on January 22nd, 1944, it was used to encircle the Allied beachhead. It fought ferociously at Cisterna, fighting the Allies to a virtual standstill. It was redesignated Fallschirm-Panzer Division Hermann Goring in April 1944 and continued to defend northern Italy until the end of the war.