Amercom AMER3017 German PzKpfw 38(t) Ausf. F Medium Tank - Panzer Regiment 25, 7.Panzer Division, Heersgruppe Mitte, Berezina River Sector, Russia, July 1941 (1:72 Scale)
"We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
Through the invasion of Czechoslovakia the Germans got a reasonable tank in the LT-35, but they also got a better tank in the LT-38, otherwise known as the TNHP-8 or, in German service, as the PzKpfw 38(t) (t=tschechoslowakish). The LT-38 shared many features with the LT-35, like riveted and bolted armor (weaker than welded armor), the same crew and high silhouette. It was, however, also faster, had a greater range and better cross-country performance because of its high power-to-weight ratio, in spite of its narrow tracks. The LT-38 was produced by C.K.D. (Ceskomoravska Kolben Danek), which was renamed Praga by the Germans who preferred a simple name. The vehicle remained in production as a tank until 1942, and the chassis was used in the Marder III and Hetzer tank destroyers, the Bison self-propelled gun, and Flakpanzer 38(t). Others, like flame-thrower and engineer versions were also produced in small numbers towards the end of the war.
The PzKpfw 38(t) was very essential to the German Army and Waffen SS; at one time it made up 25 per cent of the Panzer divisions' strength. From 1941 onwards it was outmatched by Allied tanks, but it continued to serve until the end of the war. The tank used Christie-type suspension even though it was changed to include two return rollers above and in between the first two roadwheels on each side. The vehicle was tough and field maintenance was easy. The Germans made improvements to the commander's vision blocks to help tactical deployment. Prior to the German occupation of Czechoslovakia, Sweden ordered the LT-38. During 1939-40 the Reich continued delivery, which was canceled just before the invasion of Russia.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a German PzKpfw 38(t) medium tank that was attached to the 7.Panzer Division, then involved in fighting near the Berezina River, in Russia, during 1941.
Now in stock!
Length: 3-1/2 inches
Width: 1-1/2 inches
Release Date: March 2013
Historical Account: "The Ghost Division" - On June 22nd, 1941, the 7.Panzer Division was in was in East Prussia assigned to the XXXIX Motorized Corps in 3.Panzergruppe, along with the 20.Panzer Division. Presumably for reasons of supply and maintenance, the OKH had decided to concentrate four of the six Panzer divisions equipped with Czech tanks in one panzergruppe. In June 1941, the 7.Panzer Division spearheaded the XXXIX Motorized Corps' advanced through Vilnius, (north of Bialystock), which very quickly became the northern inner encirclement arm of the Bialystock-Minsk pocket. Urged on without respite by the various German commands, the XXXIX Motorized Corp breached the Stalin line and stormed across the Berezina river near Borisov. The corps then played a major part in defeating the 5th and 7th Mechanized Corps during the Soviet 'Lepel Offensive Operation' and preempted the Red Army's Reserve Front deployment along the Dnieper-Dvina land bridge by seizing Vitebsk. Crossing the western Dvina River, the XXXIX Motorized Corp, with the 7.Panzer Division in the lead, rapidly formed the northern arm of the Smolensk pocket.