Dragon DRA61015 German Sd. Kfz. 171 PzKpfw V Panther Ausf. G Medium Tank with Zimmerit and German Figure - 9.SS Panzer Division 'Hohenstaufen', Normandy 1944 (1:35 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
In many respects, the Panther tank was viewed as the finest armored fighting vehicle of the Second World War. Based in large part upon the Soviet's highly successful T-34 medium tank, the PzKpfw V Ausfuhrung G was built by several manufacturers including MAN, Daimler-Benz and MNH. Mounting a fearsome 7.5cm KwK42 L/70 cannon and two 7.92mm MG34 machineguns, the Panther Ausf. G represented the third and certainly the most impressive installment in the Panther series.
Dragon Armor's newest large-scale release is a Late Production variant of the Panther G dressed in markings of 9. SS Panzer Division 'Hohenstaufen'. The unit name Hohenstaufen referred to a famous line of German rulers in the 12th and 13th centuries. This division was based in France at the time of the Allied landings in Normandy in June 1944. After arriving in the area in late June after suffering repeated air attacks, it was engaged in fierce battles around Caen. After a fighting withdrawal, it was able to escape the Falaise pocket, and it proceeded to retreat through France and Belgium.
This new 1:35 scale tank is the first Dragon Armor Panther G bearing a coating of Zimmerit, a feature that has been accurately replicated in miniature. Painted in a three-color camouflage scheme, the model also wears large tactical numbers on the turret sides. This fine fully assembled model features an accompanying of a pre-painted 1:35 Geman figure. Taken from a pool of available figures, the figure varies from model to model in random selection.
Length: 10 inches
Width: 4 inches
Release Date: August 2008
Though aware of the British troops at the bridge, it attempted to cross by force and was beaten back with heavy losses, including its commanding officer, SS-Hauptsturmführer Paul Gräbner.
Historical Account: "Gräbner's Attack" - The 1st and 3rd Parachute Battalions pushed towards the Arnhem bridge during the early hours of September 18th, 1944, and made good progress, but they were frequently halted in skirmishes as soon as it became daylight. With their long and unwieldy columns having to halt to beat off attacks whilst the troops in front carried on unaware, it was easy for the Germans to delay segments of the two battalions, fragment them, and mop up the remnants.
Early in the day, the 9th SS Reconnaissance Battalion, sent south the day before, concluded it was not needed in Nijmegen and returned to Arnhem.
By the end of the day, the 1st and 3rd Parachute Battalions had entered Arnhem and were within a mile of the bridge with approximately 200 men, one-sixth their original strength. Most of the officers and noncomissioned officers had become casualties. The Second Lift, delayed by fog and jumping onto a heavily disputed landing zone, landed a full strength Brigade (The 4th Parachute Brigade, consisting of the 10th, 11th and 156th Battalions of the Parachute Regiment, commanded by then-Brigadier, later General Sir John Winthrop Hackett) and C and D Companies of the 2nd South Staffordshire Regiment.