Forces of Valor 80026 German Sd. Kfz. 171 PzKpfw V Panther Ausf. G Medium Tank - 3.Panzer Division, Germany, 1944 (1:32 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
In many respects, the Panther tank was viewed as the finest armored fighting vehicle of the Second World War. Based in large part upon the Soviet's highly successful T-34 medium tank, the PzKpfw V Ausfuhrung G was built by several manufacturers including MAN, Daimler-Benz and MNH. Mounting a fearsome 7.5cm KwK42 L/70 cannon and two 7.92mm MG34 machineguns, the Panther Ausf. G represented the third and certainly the most impressive installment in the Panther series.
The weight of the production model was increased to 43 tons from the original plans for a 35 ton tank. Hitler had personally reviewed the final designs and insisted on an increase in the thickness of the frontal armor - the front glacis plate was increased from 60mm to 80mm and the turret front plate was increased from 80mm to 100mm.
Once the problems caused by the vulnerability of the engine and the transmission were solved, it proved to be a very effective fighting vehicle. The crew was made up of five members: driver, radio operator (who also fired the bow machine gun), gunner, loader, and commander.
This particular 1:32 scale replica of a German Panther tank was attached to the 3.Panzer Division, which fought in the defense of Germany in 1944.
Length: 10.5 inches
Width: 4.25 inches
Release Date: September 2005
Original Issue Price: $39.99
Historical Account: Formed at Wunsdorf in October 1935, 3.Panzer-Division fought in Poland and again in France during the summer months of 1940. It was forced to transfer several units to the then forming 5. Leichte-Division in January 1941 but in March received replacements from other divisions.
It fought on the central sector of the Eastern front before being transferred to the southern sector in March 1942, taking part in the drive on the Caucasus. It later fought at Kharkov and the River Dnieper, withdrawing through the Ukraine and into Poland before being transferred to Hungary. It fought there until April 1945 when it was sent to Austria, surrendering to the US Army shortly thereafter.