Tamiya TAM26514 German Early Version Sd. Kfz. 171 PzKpfw V Panther Ausf. G Medium Tank - Turret No. "211", 1.Panzer Division (1:48 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
In many respects, the Panther tank was viewed as the finest armored fighting vehicle of the Second World War. Based in large part upon the Soviet's highly successful T-34 medium tank, the PzKpfw V Ausfuhrung G was built by several manufacturers including MAN, Daimler-Benz and MNH. Mounting a fearsome 7.5cm KwK42 L/70 cannon and two 7.92mm MG34 machineguns, the Panther Ausf. G represented the third and certainly the most impressive installment in the Panther series.
The weight of the production model was increased to 43 tons from the original plans for a 35 ton tank. Hitler had personally reviewed the final designs and insisted on an increase in the thickness of the frontal armor - the front glacis plate was increased from 60mm to 80mm and the turret front plate was increased from 80mm to 100mm.
Once the problems caused by the vulnerability of the engine and the transmission were solved, it proved to be a very effective fighting vehicle. The crew was made up of five members: driver, radio operator (who also fired the bow machine gun), gunner, loader, and commander.
Pictured here is a German early production Panther Ausf. G medium tank from the 1.Panzer Division and bearing turret No. '211'. Sold Out!
Length: 6 inches
Width: 2 inches
Release Date: July 2006
Historical Account: "The Mailed Fist" - 1.Panzer Division was formed on October 15th, 1935 from the 3rd Cavalry Division, and was headquartered in Weimar. Initially it consisted of two panzer regiments organized into brigades, a motorized infantry brigade, a reconnaissance battalion, a divisional artillery regiment, and supporting ancillary formations.
In 1938, the division participated in training exercises with the XVI Corps, a fully motorized formation. By the start of the Polish Campaign in September 1939, the 1.Panzer Division was one of six panzer divisions in the Wehrmacht. It was deployed with the XVI Corps, Tenth Army, Army Group South, in the upper Silesia region.
XVI Corps, with the 1. and 4.Panzer Divisions, drove northeast into Poland, rapidly penetrating toward Warsaw. From September 16th-20th they eliminated a Polish counter-attack along the river Bzura. With the double-encirclement of the Polish Army by the panzer divisions, resistance soon came to an end.
In May 1940, 1Panzer Division joined Guderian's XIX Corps for the advance into France through the Ardennes forest. The corps achieved a decisive breakthrough at Sedan and by May 16th the panzer formations were advancing rapidly toward the English Channel coast. First Panzer Division came within 25 km of Dunkirk despite determined British resistance, but was ordered to stop by Hitler.
First Panzer Division was next deployed as part of XXXIX Corps on the Aisne River line for the advance south against the remaining French forces. Breakthrough was achieved by June 12th and the division advanced rapidly toward Belfort. An armistice with France was accepted on June 22nd, ending the campaign.