Hobby Master HG3912 German Opel Blitz Cargo Truck - 8.Gebirgs Division, Bologna, Italy, Spring 1945 (1:72 Scale)
"The peril of the hour moved the British to tremendous exertions, just as always in a moment of extreme danger things can be done which had previously been thought impossible. Mortal danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas."
- Generalfeldmarschal Erwin Rommel
In 1929, GM acquired the engine producer Adam Opel AG, based in Russelsheim, Germany, and with it, one of the most well regarded manufacturing plants in Europe. In the early 1930's, Opel introduced a fast light truck, calling it the Opel Blitz (Lightning) and in 1935 opened a modern truck factory in Brandenburg. Although light in weight, the Blitz design could carry a considerable payload. A proven six-cylinder engine from another GM company, Buick, provided the power. The payload increased in steps from the original 1.93 tons to 2.76 tons, and finally to 3.31 tons, of which the S type could transport cross-country.
The greatest production figures were achieved by the Opel Blitz 3-ton S with 82,356 units produced with the 3.6 liter engine from April 1937 to the beginning of August 1944. This dependable, light 3-ton truck enjoyed great popularity among the units. The simple, yet robust Opel design proved itself in the confusion of war and was superior to many specially-designed vehicles. The 3-ton Blitz was superior to many other 3-ton trucks on account of its low ground pressure which was a result of the vehicle's low weight.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a German Opel Blitz cargo truck that was attached to the 8.Gebirgs Division, then deployed to Bologna, Italy, during the Spring of 1945. Now in stock!
Length: 3.25 inches
Width: 1.25 inches
Release Date: June 2013
Historical Account: "Mountain Men" - The 8th Mountain Division or 8.Gebirgs-Division was formed on February 27th, 1945, by the redesignation of the 157th Mountain Division, which itself had been formed from the 157th Infantry Division in September 1944. The division was stationed in France until the Italian surrender when it then moved to Italy, taking 5,772 prisoners during two days. The division remained in Italy for the rest of the war, surrendering to the Allies in May 1945.