On December 22nd, 1941, the German Weapons Department was ordered to produce an effective self-propelled anti-tank gun for use on the Eastern front. The Czechoslovakian 38(t) chassis was used as the basis for the vehicle. The gun and carriage (without the wheels) was mounted on top of the superstructure using a special mounting plate. It was shaped like a bridge and was bolted to the roof in the front and rear. The gun shield moved with the gun, but the sides were fixed to help protect the crew. The driver and radio operator sat in the front of the hull. Behind them were three ammunition boxes that held 24 rounds. There were two ammunition boxes mounted on the side walls of the superstructure, which contained 12 rounds.
Originally designated the
Panzerselbstfahrlafette 2 x 7.62 cm PaK 36, Hitler changed its name to Marder III on February 27th, 1944. Production started on March 24th, 1942 at the Bahmisch-Mahrische Maschinenfabrik AG factory in Prague. Initial output was set at 17 vehicles per month, with a target of 30 per month. By May 15th, 1942, 120 had been produced, and another 100 were ordered. These were produced from June to September 1942.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale diecast replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 139 Marder III Ausf. H tank destroyer with PaK36 anti-tank gun that was attached to an unidentified unit then deployed to Stalingrad during the winter of 1943.
Now in stock!
Length: 4 inches
Width: 1-1/2 inches
Release Date: September 2014