Dragon DRA61017 German Sd. Kfz. 182 PzKpfw VI King Tiger Ausf. B Heavy Tank with Zimmerit - 1./schwere Panzer Abteilung 101, France, 1944 (1:35 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
In January 1943, a new Tiger tank was ordered by the Waffenamt, this time with a turret large enough to mount the fearsome 8.8cm L/71 gun. Besides improving its tank killing capabilities, the new Tiger was also intended to be more survivable on the battlefield. To achieve this, the thickness of the frontal armor was increased to 150mm, while the side armor remained constant at 80mm. A wooden mock-up showing the immense size of the vehicle was displayed on October 20th, 1943 and immediately became the center of attention to all that saw it. Production of the vehicle began soon thereafter in November 1943 although the first 50 vehicles sported the Porsche turret with its curved front plate.
On December 6th, the Waffenamt deemed that the shot-trap formed by the turret be eliminated. This was achieved by Henschel re-designing the turret and gun mantlet, in such a manner as to decrease the frontal area while at the same time incorporating a bell-shaped mantlet. By March 1945, 489 Royal Tigers (a.k.a. Konigstigers or "King Tigers") had been produced. Apart from five vehicles issued to the Feldherrnhalle division, all of the Tiger II heavy tanks were assigned to independent schwere Panzer detachments due to the tank's staggering size and weight, as well as its relatively slow rate of maneuver.
This particular 1:35 scale replica of a King Tiger, which is outfitted with the Henschel turret, was attached to 1./s.Pz.Abt.101 which saw action in France during 1944. Vehicle features a rotating turret, elevating gun, working suspension, and vinyl treads. Vehicle also comes slathered in a layer of zimmerit anti-magnetic mine paste. Two pieces left in stock!
Length: 11 inches
Width: 4 inches
Height: 4 inches
Release Date: December 2007
Historical Account: "Across the Rhine" - Schwere Panzer Abteilung 506 was formed in July 1943 around a cadre from the 9.Panzer Division. It fought with Heeresgruppe Mitte at the River Dnieper and later at Krivoi-Rog. The unit was then sent to Germany and refitted with Tiger II (Koningstiger) tanks in August 1944. It halted the the Allies advance near Arnhem (during Operation Market Garden) and again at Aachen.
In November, it was strengthened with a fourth company, called the schwere Panzer Kompanie Hummel, which was used as a heavy support unit wherever it was needed.
That December, schwere Panzer Abteilung 506 took part in the Ardennes offensive. It later surrendered to the Allies in the Ruhr Pocket in April 1945.