Eaglemoss EM034 Royal Hungarian Army Kfz. 70 Krupp Protze 6x4 Cargo Truck - 2nd Army, Don River, Russia, 1942 (1:43 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
The Krupp Protze Kfz. 69 was a light cross-country truck that was developed by Krupp AG in 1930. Delivered to the German national defence forces in 1933, it helped form the concept of motorized units for both the army and the air force and was very popular with the troops due to its good driving characteristics. It served as both a personnel carrier and as a tractor for the 3.7 cm anti-tank gun, and was widely used throughout Europe and Africa.
Dragon Armor has come up with a fantastic new German soft-skin vehicle, the first ever in this exciting range! It is a 1/72 scale Krupp Protze truck, with this type of vehicle serving throughout WWII after mass production commenced in 1933. A total of about 7,000 trucks were produced up till 1942. This 6x4 vehicle was powered by an air-cooled 3.308-liter flat-four engine. The horizontal engine gave rise to the truck's distinctive sharply sloped nose, and also to its nickname 'Boxer'. The truck was used for all kinds of purposes, and it was commonly employed for towing light artillery pieces such as the 3.7cm Pak 35/36 antitank cannon. Dragon's new model shows the truck in a slightly different configuration, however, that of a Kfz.70 Personnel Carrier.
Utilizing detailed research and molds from a recently released 1/72 plastic scale kit of the Krupp Protze Kfz.70, this is certainly a delightful truck model. The fully built-up miniature incorporates full detail both above and below the chassis. For example, the wheels and independent coil spring suspension are masterfully represented. The Kfz.70 Personnel Carrier is finished in a typical camouflage scheme of early-war gray, and it is registered with its very own Wehrmacht 'WH' number plate. This Dragon Armor item is an excellent representation of the 6x4 truck that was a workhorse of the German military during WWII. This first German soft-skin vehicle in the Dragon Armor collection is a fine companion to the wide range of German tanks and armored fighting vehicles released to date.
Pictured here is a 1:43 scale replica of a German-built Kfz. 70 Krupp Protze 6x4 cargo truck used by the Royal Hungarian Army, then deployed to the Don River in Russia during 1942.
Now in stock!
Release Date: August 2015
Historical Account: "Hungary" - After the Hungarian government of Miklos Kallay had entered into negotiations with the Western Powers in summer 1943 over a separate peace agreement, Germano-Hungarian relations noticeably worsened. Hungary's refusal to provide troops for the occupation of the Balkans, as well as her demands, to pull occupation troops out of Ukraine and White Russia to defend the homeland, were viewed with suspicion by the Germans. In March 1944 the Wehrmacht occupied large parts of Hungary in Operation Margarethe in order to prevent her from leaving the Axis alliance. The largely demobilized Hungarian army offered no resistance. The newly elected government under Dome Sztojay declared itself ready to support the Germans with new deployments of troops.
In April, the 1st Army under Geza Lakatos was sent to the front in East Galicia, in order to prevent the Soviets seizing the Carpathian passes. With the help of a newly established line of defense it was able to hold here until July 1944, before it had to pull back into the Carpathians in the face of the Lvov-Sandomierz Offensive.
At the end of August 1944, the 2nd and 3rd Armies were mobilized again, in order to defend Transylvania and South Hungary following Rumania's change of sides. The 2nd Army was subordinated to Army Group Fretter-Pico. In the wake of the Carpatho-Dukla Offensive and Battle of Debrecen, the Hungarian-German armies were pushed back during September and October into the Great Hungarian Plain. During these battles, on October 15th, Reichsverweser Horthy was removed by the SS after his unilateral agreement of a ceasefire with the Soviet Union during Operation Panzerfaust, and the Arrow Cross Party under Ferenc Szalasi took over the government and control of the army. As a result, the commander of the 1st Army, Bela Miklos, went over to the Soviet side and they installed him as head of an opposition government with its headquarters in Debrecen. Its Defense Minister was ex-Chief of the General Staff, Janos Voros, who had also defected to the Soviets.
A 102-day-long Siege of Budapest by troops of the 2nd and 3rd Ukrainian Fronts began on November 3rd, 1944, and they invested the city until December 26th. Amongst the encircled troops who surrendered on February 13th, 1945, that included Wehrmacht and SS units, was the Hungarian I Corps.