Dragon DRA60013 German Sd. Kfz. 186 Jagdpanzer VI Jagdtiger Heavy Tank Destroyer - schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 512, Germany, 1945 (1:72 Scale)
"We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
Early in 1943, orders were given to design a heavy, self-propelled anti-tank gun, which would mate a 12.8cm gun with a Tiger II chassis. On October 20th, 1943 a wooden mock-up of the enormous vehicle was shown to the OKH planners who authorized that a prototype be finished by April 1944. Two Jagdtigers were built with the Porsche-designed longitudinal torsion-bar suspension. During field testing, this arrangement proved entirely unsatisfactory, which further delayed production of the tank destroyer. The initial series was set at 150 vehicles, but an order issued in October 1944 stipulated that when these had been completed, production capacity was to be switched over to the Panther. This mandate was reversed in January 1945, and assembly of the Jagdtiger was to be resumed as fast as possible. By March 1945, only 77 examples were produced, all assigned to either the Panzerjagerabteilung 653 or the schwere Panzerabteilung 512.
This particular 1:72 scale 9-wheeled Henschel version of the Jagdtiger was assigned to schwere Panzerjager abteilung 512, which was used in the Defense of Germany during the spring of 1945. Now in stock!
Length: 5-1/2 inches
Width: 2-1/4 inches
Release Date: March 2004
Historical Account: Jagdtiger Abteilung 512 was formed in the late fall of 1944 and was equipped with twenty Jagdtiger heavy tank destroyers, mounting 128mm KwK 44 L/55 guns on modified Tiger II Ausf B chassis. There were two companies, each with 10 vehicles. Two Jagdtigers were in each company HQ section, and four Jagdtigers were in each of the two platoons. The two companies, named Kompanie Carius and Kompanie Ernst, fought as separate units. Kompanie Ernst was reinforced with a platoon of Stug III assault guns, one PzKpfw IV medium tank, and a platoon of self-propelled 37mm flak guns. Both units fought in Germany's last battles, and surrendered to US forces occupying the Ruhr in 1945.