Dragon DRA60189 German Early Production Sd. Kfz. 165 Hummel Self-Propelled Howitzer - 4.Panzer Division, Eastern Front, 1944 (1:72 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
To provide armored units with artillery support on an armored fully-tracked chassis, the Waffenamt (Ordnance Department) had proposed that the 10.5cm leFH cannon be mounted on the PzKpfw III and IV chassis. On July 25th, 1942, it was decided to mount the larger 15cm sFH gun on the PzKpfw III and IV chassis, since the PzKpfw II chassis was acceptable as a mount for the leFH cannon. Alkett was entrusted with the development of the vehicle, and subsequently presented a prototype to Hitler in October 1943. The Hummel ("Bumble-Bee") was to be a mere 'Zwischenlosung' (interim solution) until a chassis designed specifically as a self-propelled gun platform could be developed and mass produced. By May 12th 1943, 100 Hummel were to be built for use in the planned summer offensive against the Red Army, code-named "Operation Zitadelle". Besides the Hummel, 157 Munitions Fahrzeuge (ammunition carriers) were produced to provide ammunition for the Hummel batteries.
Pictured here is an early production German Sd. Kfz. 165 Hummel self-propelled heavy howitzer that was attached to the 6th Battery of the 4.Panzer Division, then operating on the eastern front during 1944. Sold Out!
Length: 4.5 inches
Width: 1.5 inches
Release Date: October 2006
Historical Account: "Pan's Enchantment" - Formed at Würzburg in November 1938, 4.Panzer-Division fought in both Poland and France, before remaining in France on occupation duty until November 1940. It was later transferred to East Prussia to take part in the invasion of the USSR, fighting on the central sector of the Eastern front. Like the rest of the Wehrmacht, it was eventually pushed back by the Red Army. The unit fought in Latvia and Kurland from the summer of 1944 until January 1945, when it was transferred to West Prussia where it surrendered to the Red Army in April 1945.