Panzer Division Hermann Goring was established in May 1943 when Division Hermann Goring was reformed. It was sent to Sicily to fight the expected allied landings and became one of the few reliable Axis formations to remain in place after the Italian front collapsed on Sicily. It fought at Gela and Priolo but was forced to withdraw due to heavy Allied naval bombings. Despite suffering significant losses, the division continued fighting a defensive battle, which enabled other german forces to evacuate Sicily and take up the fight in Italy. The division was stationed near Naples when the Italian government surrendered to the Allies and was used to disarm the Italian troops in the Salerno area. After the Allies landed at Salerno on September 9th, the division was ordered back to the Volturno-Termoli Line. Later on, it retreated with the rest of the german forces to the nearly impregnable Gustav Line, where it was replaced in the front lines by infantry and ordered into tactical reserve.
When the Allies landed at Anzio on January 22nd, 1944, where it was used to encircle the Allied beachhead. It fought ferociously at Cisterna, fighting the Allies to a virtual standstill. It was redesignated Fallschirm-Panzer Division Hermann Goring in April 1944 and continued to defend northern Italy until the end of the war.
Pictured here is a German Grenadier from the Hermann Goring Division, II. Bn/Grenadier-Regiment 1 HG, then deployed to Tunisia, during April 1943 - "Bernard Beck." Now in stock!