Hobby Master HA7411 German Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-7/R6 Fighter - Jagdgruppe 10, Parchim, Germany, 1944 (1:48 Scale)
"Guns before butter. Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat."
- Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering, Head of the German Luftwaffe
Nicknamed the "Butcher Bird," the Fw 190 was Germany's best air-to-ground fighter. Faster and more agile than the British Spitfire, it dominated the skies over Europe as a fighter and was the Luftwaffe's most important ground-attack aircraft. Controlled by the skilled hands of aces like Oberleutnant Otto Kittel, the FW-190 gained the reputation of being one of the greatest fighters of all time. This fighter-bomber and anti-tank aircraft was almost impossible to defeat until the introduction of the long-range P-51 Mustang.
The Fw 190 A-7 was based on the Fw 190 A-5/U9 prototype, and entered production in November 1943. The A-7 was equipped with the BMW 801 D-2 engine, again producing 1,700 PS (1,677 hp, 1,250 kW). Designed to combat the USAAF's heavy bombers the basic armament was upgraded to include two fuselage-mounted 13 mm (.51 in) MG 131s, replacing the MG 17s. Because the larger-breached MG 131s had to be mounted further apart, the upper gun cowling, just in front of the cockpit, was modified with faired bulges and a new upper engine cowling was manufactured. This left insufficient room for the three cowling toggle latches, which were moved to the side panels. The rest of the armament fit stayed the same as earlier versions; two wing root-mounted 20 mm MG 151s and two outer wing-mounted 20 mm MG 151s. The Revi gunsight was updated to the new 16B model. The additional weight of the new weapon systems required strengthening of the wheels, adding a reinforced rim to better deal with typical combat airfield conditions. The A-7 was usually outfitted with the center line-mounted ETC 501 rack. There were several major Ruststze for the A-7, many including Werfer-Granate 21 WGr 21 rockets. A total of 701 A-7s were produced from November 1943 to April 1944, according to Ministry of Aviation acceptance reports and Focke-Wulf production books.
This particular 1:48 scale replica of a German Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-7/R6 Fighter that was attached to Jagdgruppe 10, then deployed to Parchim, Germany, during 1944. Sold Out!
Wingspan: 8.5 inches
Length: 7.25 inches
Release Date: January 2013
Historical Account: "Schlangenschwarm" - In 1944, FW-190A7/R6 "Red 8" (R6 meant the aircraft was equipped with WG21 under-wing rocket launchers) was piloted by Fw (Feldwebel the equivalent of sergeant) R. Hartkopf of Jagdgruppe 10, 2.Staffel, "Schlangenschwarm" based at Parchim Germany. In May 1943 a unit to test heavy weapons and special weapons to be used against U.S. bombers was formed as Erprobungskommando 25 (Ekdo 25) and based at Parchim in June and July 1944 when the unit was re-designated Jagdgruppe 10 (JGr.10). In March of 1945, the new unit was disbanded.