Armour Collection B11E769 German Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Fighter - Unteroffizer Ernst Schrader, II/Jagdgeschwader 300 "Kolle Alaaf" (1:48 Scale)
"Guns before butter. Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat."
- Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering, Head of the German Luftwaffe
Nicknamed the "Butcher Bird", the Fw 190 was Germany's best air-to-ground fighter. Faster and more agile than the British Spitfire, it dominated the skies over Europe as a fighter and was the Luftwaffe's most important ground-attack aircraft. Controlled by the skilled hands of aces like Oberleutnant Otto Kittel, the FW-190 gained the reputation of being one of the greatest fighters of all time. This fighter-bomber and anti-tank aircraft was almost impossible to defeat until the introduction of the long-range P-51 Mustang.
This particular 1:48 scale replica of a Focke-Wulf FW 190 fighter was piloted by Unteroffizer Ernst Schrader. Sold Out!
Wingspan: 8 inches
Length: 7 inches
Release Date: February 2008
Historical Account: "Wilde Sau" - JG 300 had its origins in April 1943, when Major "Hajo" Herrmann, a decorated bomber pilot advocated the use of single-seat day fighters in a night fighting role to combat the RAF's escalating Night Bomber Offensive. He suggested that single seat fighters could operate in the bombers' general target area using the light of target indicators, massed searchlights and the fires on the ground to spot their targets. These operations were trialed over Berlin during May and June 1943 and codenamed 'Wilde Sau'.
Recruiting a group of experienced bomber pilots and former instructors with the requisite blind-flying experience, a test unit was set up on June 26th, 1943 in Deelen as Stab/Versuchskommando Herrmann to test Herrmann's theory. Standard Fw 190-A's and Bf 109-G's were used, initially 'borrowed' from their parent day units, one of which was Jagdgeschwader 11.
Jagdgeschwader 300 employed the Wilde Sau tactic in single engine fighters for the first time on the night of July 3rd, 1943, when 653 RAF aircraft attacked Cologne's industrial area on the east bank of the Rhine. The German fighters, taking advantage of the illumination from searchlights, target indicator flares and ground fires claimed 12 aircraft shot down, but had to share their claims with the anti-aircraft batteries who also claimed the downings. To avoid losses to friendly fire, anti-aircraft batteries were orderd to restrict the height of their flak barrage and the fighters operated above that pre-agreed ceiling.
The test unit expanded into JG 300, its I. Gruppe officially formed on August 20th, 1943. Sister units JG 301 and JG 302 were also formed on similar lines at this time, collectively brought together as 30 Jagd Division under Herrmann's command. Special variants of the Bf 109 were later adapted for this night fighter duty; the Bf 109 G-6(N) and Bf 109 G-6(Y). The former was fitted with the FuG 350 "Naxos Z" passive homing detector and the latter with the "Y" interception radio system. Initially however these single seat fighters used no radar or radio aids whatsoever.