Dragon DRA60341 German Sd. Kfz. 184 Ferdinand Heavy Tank Destroyer with Zimmerit and Buildings Diorama - schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653, Kursk, 1943 (1:72 Scale)
"We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
During the development of the Tiger(P) and Tiger(H), Hitler had agitated for a turret design which would be large enough to mount the 8.8cm KwK L/71 gun. This had not materialized and on September 22nd, 1942, it was decided that the StuG with 200mm frontal armor and the long 8.8cm gun should be immediately designed, with the Tiger(P) as the basis, and part of the Tiger(P) production diverted for the vehicle. Alkett was to design and produce the Ferdinand, with Niebelungenwerke supplying the completed chassis. Despite the shortage of suspension parts and lack of test runs, on February 6th, 1943, Hitler ordered that 90 Ferdinands be supplied to the front as quickly as possible by all available means. This resulted in the order for Niebelungenwerke to complete the Sturmgeschutz Ferdinand instead of Alkett. All 90 were completed by the end of May 1943, in time for use in the summer offensive at Kursk.
This particular Ferdinand heavy tank destroyer was attached to the schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653. Comes with display base and buildings. Sold Out!
Release Date: November 2007
Historical Account: In July 1943, the German Army issued Ferdinands to schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653 and 654 (each was to be equipped with 45 Ferdinands), in preparation for the Kursk offensive. Both units had been formed in April 1943 at Bruck, Germany -- sPzJagAbt 653 was formed from personnel from the 197th Sturmgeschuetz Abteilung, while sPzJagAbt 654, along with Sturmpanzerabteilung 216 which was equipped with Brummbars, formed the 656 sPanzerjager Regiment commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Jungenfled. In actuality, sPzJagAbt 653 had 45 Ferdinands, while sPzJagAbt 654 had 44 Ferdinands because one vehicle was still undergoing testing back at Kummersdorf.