Schuco SCH450656200 German BMW R75 Motorcycle with Sidecar - Unidentified Unit, Normandy, 1944 (1:10 Scale)
"We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
The Bavarian Motorwerks R75 was produced from 1940 until 1944 with over 16,000 built. It was by far the most numerous motorcycle found amongst the German Army, used on virtually every front from the hot desert sands of North Africa to the cold and muddied environs of the Russian front. The R75 was fitted with a 26 bhp engine, which drove the rear and sidecar wheel via a 4-speed (and reverse) gearbox, giving it a maximum speed of 95 km/h. It was equipped with hydraulic brakes on the drive wheels as well as mechanical brakes on the front, and fitted with a telescopic front fork. The sidecar was oftentimes armed with a MG 34 and, in some instances, a trench mortar was installed within the sidecar.
This particular 1:10 scale replica of a German BMW R75 motorcycle with sidecar is painted in a summer camouflage pattern.
Length: 8-1/4 inches
Width: 6-1/2 inches
Height: 4-1/2 inches
Release Date: August 2012
Historical Account: "Yeoman Service" - The BMW R75 and its rival the Zndapp KS 750 were both widely used by the Wehrmacht in Russia and North Africa, though after a period of evaluation it became clear that the Zndapp was the superior machine. In August 1942 Zndapp and BMW, on the urging of the Army, agreed upon standardization of parts for both machines, with a view of eventually creating a Zndapp-BMW hybrid (designated the BW 43), in which a BMW 286/1 side-car would be grafted onto a Zndapp KS 750 motorcycle. They also agreed that the manufacture of the R75 would cease once production reached 20,200 units, and after that point BMW and Zndapp would only produce the Zndapp-BMW machine, manufacturing 20,000 each year.
Since the target of 20,200 BMW R75's was not reached, it remained in production until the Eisenach factory was so badly damaged by Allied bombing that production ceased in 1944. A further 98 units were assembled by the Soviets in 1946 as reparations.