The Motor Pool TMP7072 German 88mm Flak 36/37 Anti-Aircraft Gun w/ Trailer - Panzer Grenadier Division 'Grossdeutschland' (1:35 Scale)
"The peril of the hour moved the British to tremendous exertions, just as always in a moment of extreme danger things can be done which had previously been thought impossible. Mortal danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas."
- Generalfeldmarschal Erwin Rommel
Originally developed as an anti-aircraft gun, the 8.8cm FLugzeugAbwehrKanone ("Flak") was first employed in the anti-tank gun role in 1936, when the German Condor Legion was testing out its equipment during the Spanish Civil War. Amazingly, German war planners had designed the gun as an AA weapon with a heavy cruciform platform and central fire control operation, not as a multi-purpose anti-tank gun with proper anti-tank sights. Nevertheless, its capability was seen and quietly noted by commanders operating in the field. While the gun was occassionally used in the anti-tank gun role during the Polish and French campaigns, it wasn't until the Afrika Korps joined battle in Cyrenaica with the British Eighth Army that the "88" really showed its prowess as a tank killer. Here the tactical situation was such that it was possible to deploy the guns in their anti-aircraft role in positions which would allow them to be re-trained as anti-tank guns. Moreover their range and penetrating power were such that they could dispose of British tanks long before they were close enough to engage with their two- or six-pounder guns.
This particular 1:35 scale 88mm gun bears the insignia of the 'Grossdeutschland' Panzer Division and is painted in an eastern front winter camouflage scheme. Sold Out!
Length: 7.50 inches
Width: 3 inches
Height: 3.50 inches
Historical Account: "Greater Germany" - On June 23rd, 1943, Infanterie Division "Grossdeutschland'" was officially re-classified as a Panzergrenadier Division. The two infantry regiments became known as Panzer Grenadier Regiment Grossdeutschland' and Panzer Fusilier Regiment Grossdeutschland'. Interestingly, both units retained their white arm-of-service or branch color (waffenfarbe) rather than the new grassgreen piping adopted by the panzergrenadiers. Involved in Operation: Zitadelle, Panzer Grenadier Division Grossdeutschland' was, in actuality, a full-fledged panzer division since it was one of only a handful of units equipped with a battalion of Tiger tanks. After Kursk, the unit fought on the Dniepr Line, and by early 1944 was fighting in the north, retreating into East Prussia and Latvia as the Russian onslaught continue to gather momentum.
In November 1944, the Grossdeutschland' Division was still regarded as a Panzergrenadier division, although other units within its 'sphere of influence' were expanded to form the Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland'.