Easy Model EM36355 USAAF North American F-51B Mustang Fighter - Lt. John Thornell, "Patty Ann II", 328th Fighter Squadron, 352nd Fighter Group (1:72 Scale)
"The best fighter pilot I ever saw."
- General Chuck Yeager, commenting on the flying skills of his fellow airman, Captain Clarence E. "Bud" Anderson
No other aircraft of WWII could fly as high, go as far, or fight as hard as the famed Mustang. Piloted by a record 281 Aces, this agile and ferocious dogfighter tallied more kills than any other Allied airplane. As the bombers of the Eighth Air Force fought their way deep into Hitler's Germany, it was the Mustang that cleared the skies of Luftwaffe fighters. The powerful Rolls-Royce Merlin engine gave the Mustang a speed of 445 mph. Re-styled with an aerodynamic bubble canopy for greater visibility, and outfitted with 6 fast-firing .50 caliber machine guns, the P-51 became the best fighter of the war.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a F-51B Mustang that was piloted by Lt. John Thornell, whose plane was nicknamed "Patty Ann II". Sold Out!
Wingspan: 6.75 inches
Length: 5 inches
Historical Account: "Distinguished Service" - John Thornell was born on April 19th, 1921, in Stoughton, Massachusetts. He enlisted in the U.S. Army Reserve on June 11th, 1940, and then served on active duty with the 1st Infantry Division at Fort Ethan Allen, Vermont, from July 2nd, 1940, to January 1942, when he entered the Aviation Cadet Program of the U.S. Army Air Forces. Thornell was commissioned a 2d Lt. and awarded his pilot wings at Craig Field, Alabama, on February 16th, 1943, and after P-47 Thunderbolt training he was assigned to the 328th Fighter Squadron of the 352nd Fighter Group in England in July 1943.
Lt Thornell was credited with the destruction of 17.25 enemy aircraft in aerial combat plus 2 damaged, and another 3 on the ground while strafing enemy airfields, between January and June 1944. He returned to the U.S. in July 1944 and after the war he served with the 1st Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron in Furth, Germany, from 1946 to February 1947, followed by service in the Air Force Reserve from February 21, 1947 to March 22nd, 1948.