Dragon DRA60152 Captured German T-34/76 Medium Tank in Winter Camouflage - 94.Infanterie Division, Eastern Front, 1942 (1:72 Scale)
"By powerful artillery fire, air strikes, and a wave of attacking tanks, we're supposed to swiftly crush the enemy."
- Marshal Georgi K. Zhukov
The first generation T-34 medium tank made its debut in combat during the summer of 1941, when the Wehrmacht launched its invasion of the Soviet Union. The T-34 easily outclassed the German PzKpfw III and IV models, thanks to its hard-hitting 76.2mm main gun, thick frontal armor, wide tracks, and overall superior mobility. The first T-34s were assembled at Kharkov, Leningrad, and Stalingrad, then moved behind the Ural mountains when the German advance encircled Leningrad, overran Kharkov, and invested the "City of Stalin". Legend has it that some T-34s rolled off the Stalingrad assembly line unpainted and even unfinished to prevent the Nazi invaders from capturing the city.
This particular 1:72 scale T-34/76 medium tank is painted in a winter camouflage scheme and was captured and used by the German 94.Infanterie Division. Features additional storage boxes, Notek light, tools, and a very distinctive Pz.Kpfw III/IV cupola. Sold Out!
Length: 3.5 inches
Width: 1.5 inches
Release Date: November 2005
Historical Account: "Touching the Flame" - Beginning in 1938, the German Army used large numbers of captured equipment to augment their own arsenal. Beute Panzerkampfwagen ("Booty Panzers") were gathered at special collection points, where they were examined to see if they could be of any use to its new owners. If possible, useful tanks were taken to factories where they were repaired and/or modified then painted in distinctive German colors and markings. In May 1940, some of the foreign/captured tanks were pressed into service with specially formed tank units belonging to Panzer or Infanterie Divisions then used in a variety of roles, particularly reconnaissance. Some units, such as Panzer Abteilung 216 occupying the Channel Islands, and 7.SS Freiwillingen Gebirgs Division "Prinz Eugen" deployed to the Balkans, were equipped completely with captured equipment.
Although most of the foreign tanks were eventually converted into weapons carriers, some were converted and armed with captured weapons including Soviet 76.2mm ZIS-3 and F-22 guns. Many were converted into supplementary vehicles such as artillery tractors, while others were used for training purposes and/or internal policing duties in occupied territories (Polizei Panzerkampfwagen). Many were used as target practice or were simply handed over to Germany's allies to flesh out their armored formations. Other captured tanks, such as the inimitable Soviet T-34, were immediately pressed into service by German forces who recognized the tank for its superior design and excellent mobility.