Oxford TIL004 British Army Austin Tilly Light Truck - British Light Anti-Aircraft Brigade, Royal Artillery, Malta, 1942 (1:76 Scale)
"After [El] Alamein, we never had a defeat."
- British Prime Minister Winston Churchill
Tilly (from "Utility") was the name given to a number of British military vehicles produced during World War II from civilian car designs and used by all of the armed forces in most theatres of that conflict.
As an expediency British car manufacturers adapted civilian saloon designs to be fitted with a simple rear loading area to create the Car, Light Utility 4 x 2.
Tens of thousands were built during the war but very few still exist today. Preserved restored examples are on public display in the Czech Republic's tank museum at Lesany near Prague, Yorkshire Air Museum, in France's Regional Air Museum at Angers-Marce and at the Malta Air Museum at Ta Kali, Malta, the Muckleburgh Collection, Norfolk among others
Some of the privately owned Tillys are shown at the annual 'War & Peace Show' at Beltring near Paddock Wood, Kent, Britain's largest military vehicle show.
Owners of the few surviving Tillys today regard them as very special versatile vehicles but which tend to be overlooked by many in the military vehicle preservation scene. The Tilly Register was formed in 1996 to bring Tilly owners together. Its primary aim is to locate and record all surviving vehicles worldwide. All four marques of Tilly Austin, Hillman, Morris and Standard are catered for, as well as the Austin 8 Tourer which is a close relative of the Austin Tilly. The Register has members all over Europe and in Australia.
Pictured here is a 1:76 scale replica of a British Army Austin Tilly Light Truck that was attached to the British Light Anti-Aircraft Brigade, Royal Artillery, then deployed to Malta during 1942. Now in stock!
Length: 2 inches
Width: 1 inches
Release Date: October 2013
Historical Account: "Queen Lizzie" - In 1935, Bedford began the development of a 15 cwt truck for the British War Office. This entered service as the MW in 1939, and 65,995 examples had been built by the end of World War II in 1945. The MW appeared in a bewildering range of roles, as a water tanker, general duties truck, personnel carrier, petrol tanker, wireless truck and Anti-Aircraft gun tractor - among others. The War Office designated 15 cwt vehicles such as the MW as trucks, and larger vehicles as lorries.
The 1939 K-, M-, and O-series lorries were quickly redesigned for military use. This was largely a matter of styling, involving a sloping bonnet with a flat front with headlights incorporated and a crash bar to protect the radiator in a minor collision. The military versions were designated OX and OY series, and again were put to a wide range of tasks, including mobile canteens, tankers, general purpose lorries, and a version with a Tasker semi-trailer used by the Royal Air Force to transport