BAC Jet Provost T5 Trainer - No. 1 Flying Training School, RAF Linton-on-Ouse, Yorkshire, England, 1991 (1:72 Scale)
"From the Mighty River We Strike."
- Motto of RAF Linton-on-Ouse
The BAC Jet Provost (originally built by Hunting Percival) was a British jet-powered trainer aircraft used by the Royal Air Force (RAF) from 1955 to 1993. The Jet Provost was also a successful export product, serving in many air forces worldwide.
In the 1950s, the RAF issued a requirement for a new dedicated jet training aircraft. Hunting developed the Jet Provost from the piston-engined Percival Provost basic trainer. On June 26th, 1954, the prototype made its first flight, flown by Dick Wheldon. The Air Ministry ordered ten of the Jet Provost T1, and in June 1957, 40 of the Jet Provost T3, featuring a new Armstrong Siddeley Viper jet engine, ejector seats, a redesign of the airframe, and a strengthened, retractable tricycle undercarriage. Percival built one example used purely for structural tests throughout the development stages, giving the designers valuable research into what could be achieved with the basic design. In total, 201 T3s were delivered between 1958 and 1962. The T4 followed in 1961 with a new engine, and then the pressurised T5 in 1967.
The T51 was an armed export version which was sold to Ceylon (Sri Lanka), Kuwait and Sudan. Armed with two 7.7-mm (0.303-inch) machine guns. The T52 was another armed export version sold to Iraq, South Yemen, Sudan and Venezuela. It had the same armament as the T51. The T55 was the final armed export version which was sold to Sudan.
An armed variant of the airframe was developed as the BAC Strikemaster.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a BAC Jet Provost T5 trainer that was operated by No.1 FTS, then deployed to RAF Linton-on-Ouse, England, during 1991. Special Order!
Wingspan: 5.75 inches
Length: 5.75 inches
Release Date: June 2010
Historical Account: "From the Mighty River We Strike" - RAF Linton-on-Ouse is a Royal Air Force station at Linton-on-Ouse near York in Yorkshire, England. It is currently a major flying training centre, one of the RAF's busiest airfields. It has satellite stations at RAF Topcliffe, RAF Church Fenton and RAF Dishforth.
RAF Linton-on-Ouse opened on May 13th, 1937, as a bomber airfield and was the home of No 4 Group until 1940. The base's first commander was Wing Commander A D Pryor (1938 Air Force Lists).
When the Second World War began, bombers were launched from Linton to drop propaganda leaflets over Germany and the base was eventually used to launch bombing raids on Norway, The Netherlands, Germany, and Italy. Linton was one of 11 stations allocated to No. 6 Group, Royal Canadian Air Force during the war.
At the end of the war the station was involved with transporting passengers and freight back to the UK. After which it became a fighter command station until it was closed for maintenance in 1957.
On September 9th, 1957, the base was reopened as the home of No 1 Flying Training School (FTS) and was responsible for training pilots for both the RAF and the Navy.
In 1985, engineering and supply services were contracted out to private firms. The contract for this is currently held by VT Aerospace.
Today, Linton-on-Ouse is used to provide fast jet pilot training before they move onto the BAE Hawk T.1 aircraft at No. 4 FTS, RAF Valley in Wales. Weapon Systems Operators receive part of their training here also. In addition, the base is used by 642 VGS (Volunteer Gliding Squadron) to teach Air Cadets how to fly the Grob Vigilant aircraft. The station houses a memorial room which recounts the history of the base and the units which have been associated with it.