Minichamps MIN122133700 1939 Triumph Speed-Twin Motorcycle - Red (1:12 Scale)
"German precision engineering at its finest!"
- The Motor Pool
When the Great Depression hit in 1929, Triumph spun off its German subsidiary as a separate, independently owned company, which became part of the Triumph-Adler Company. The Nuremberg firm continued to manufacture motorcycles under the Triumph brand until 1957. In 1932, Triumph sold off another part of the company, its bicycle manufacturing facility to Raleigh. By then, Triumph had been struggling financially, and Bettmann had been forced out of the chairman's spot. He retired completely in 1933.
In 1936, the company's two components became separate companies. Triumph always struggled to make a profit from cars, and after going bankrupt in 1939 was acquired by the Standard Motor Company. The motorcycle operations fared better, having been acquired in 1936 by John Sangster, who also owned the rival Ariel motorcycle company. That same year, the company began its first exports to the United States, which quickly grew into the company's single most important market. Sangster's formed the Triumph Engineering Co Ltd largely led by ex-Ariel employees, including Edward Turner who designed the 500 cc 5T Speedtwin - released in September 1937, and the basis for all Triumph's until the 1990's. In 1939 the 500 cc T100 Tiger, capable of 100 mph, was released, and then the war began. (Courtesy: Wikipedia)
Pictured here is a 1:12 scale replica of a 1939 Triumph Speed-Twin motorcycle finished in red. Comes packaged in a handsome presentation case. Sold Out!
Length: 7 inches
Height: 3.50 inches
Release Date: July 2010
Historical Account: "The Need for Speed" - In 1937, Triumph's Chief Designer and Managing Director, Edward Turner, unveiled the Triumph 500cc Speed Twin motorcycle at the National Motorcycle Show. It was a revolutionary design that changed the course of motorcycling from that day onwards, and its engine format still forms the basis of motorcycle engineering today.
At the time, the Speed Twin was very reasonably priced at just 75 pounds. Its engine was a beautifully symmetrical design with camshafts fitted on either side of the barrel enabling more air to pass through the cylinders and over the head. It also had centrally-disposed pushrods in plated tubes and an inside flywheel supported mid-way between the crank journals by a stiff web. The valve-gear was totally enclosed and the camshafts were gear-driven, as was the Magdyno. The 63mm bore and 80mm stroke engine produced 28.5bhp at 600rpm.
The Speed Twin was an instant success. Its performance, smoothness, ease of starting and overall handling impressed the buying public greatly. Soon, most other manufacturers followed this design so as not to be left behind, and although modern day motorcycles would no-doubt completely out-perform it, the origins of their engine designs stem from Edward Turner's Coventry built 1937 Speed Twin.